What is Hypnobirthing?
The Hypnobirthing Australia (tm) course is a unique childbirth education program which teaches women and their support partners practical techniques and powerful mindset that supports them to have a positive birth experience.
The comprehensive Hypnobirthing Australia (tm) program is an up-to-date childbirth education program that incorporates successful ideas, modern pregnancy and birthing theories and teachings from many respected experts including Hypnotherapy techniques.
Working within hospital environments as a midwife and also in private practice, I often see the positive impacts positive birth experiences can have on families. Unfortunately, I also see the negative impacts of poor preparation, lack of education, too much intervention leading to less than ideal outcomes for some of these families. I choose to teach the Hypnobirthing Australia (tm) course (instead of the Mongan method) as I believe the course is so well thought out, gives current research based techniques and information, has amazing and empowering birth stories (in an Australian accent) and is very geared towards Australian families and not American! I would not endorse a program I did not wholeheartedly believe works!
The program can help any birthing couple prepare for their baby and is designed for either natural or caesarean births. The preparation during pregnancy ensures Hypnobirthing Australia (tm) couples are equipped to approach their birth and its outcome as best they can.
How do I know if this class is for me??
You want your birth partner to feel included and know how to support you in your labour. Most partner’s do not feel included in birth. Its a ‘woman’s business’ and they often do not know how best to help their partner. Hospital antenatal classes often cover everything in brief detail and most definitely do not cover much about partners and their involvement. Most of these classes simply direct you about hospital protocols and expectations vs actual preparation for labour, birthing and breastfeeding. This course helps prepare birthing partner’s to understand the physiology of childbirth, what your partner might need and how they can give that to her during this amazing time of change. Birthing partners are an integral part of the Hypnobirthing Australia (tm) philosophy. If you do not have a partner, you are most welcome to attend our classes on your own or with another relative or friend who you feel will be a positive support for you in labour.
You are worried and anxious about the pain associated with childbirth and how you might cope with this. The Hypnobirthing Australia (tm) course prepare women to focus on the pain as being a positive part of childbirth and giving you the tools and techniques to succeed.
You ideally want to have a low-intervention and natural birth and do not know how you are going to achieve this! The Hypnobirthing Australia (tm) course prepares couples for the normal course of events, unexpected changes to this plan and everything in between. By being prepared, empowered and educated you will be able to approach your birth with knowledge which is super important. You and your partner will feel able to ask any questions about your care pathways in partnership with your care providers.
Each couple receives a parent resource folio and hypnobirthing mp3 download voucher that can be used during their pregnancy and birth. The folio is a huge source of knowledge and information for couples and we refer to this frequently throughout the course and includes many practical guides and resources. There are many other mp3’s that can be downloaded from the Hypnobirthing Australia (tm) website to boost your track collection for use during labour.
Most couples will attend a Hypnobirthing Australia (tm) course with me some time between 20-30 weeks pregnant, but anytime is ok! Ideally from 20 weeks gives you enough time to practice all the techniques taught and keep it fresh enough to remember in your mind! However, if you are 38 weeks and have only just found the Hypnobirthing Australia course, please contact me for other options that may suit you.
The Hypnobirthing Australia (TM) course is broken down into four Units taught by a highly experienced and currently practicing midwife who has worked within all models of care within the South Australian maternity system.
+ Unit 1 - Creating and Maintaining a Positive Mindset
- introduction to the positive mindset of Hypnobirthing
- causes of fear
- how our brain is wired to birth
- the role of our caregivers
- our hormones are our friends
- mind/body connection
- what is self hypnosis and how will we use it for birthing?
- my amazing uterus - understanding the physiology behind birthing
- fear-tension-pain syndrome
- fear and how it affects our labour
- reprogramming the subconscious
- our support team
- birthing environment
- the language for an empowered birth
+ Unit 2 - Our Toolkit for Birth
- self hypnosis track
- birth music
- conditioning with scent
- hypnotic anchors and triggers
- releasing endorphins through massage and touch
- acupressure techniques for pregnancy, birth and breastfeeding
- visualisation for pregnancy, labour and birthing
- the importance of facial relaxation
- relaxation breathing - a skill for life
- surge breathing - the best tool ever!
- breathing tools
- instant relaxation techniques
- techniques to help make your surges more comfortable
+ Unit 3 - Preparation & Choices for Empowered Birthing
- bonding with baby
- birth preferences - having open communication with your caregivers
- knowledge is power - common interventions and procedures
- questions to ask, to assist in making informed decisions
- birth partner as advocate
- ‘guess date’ - a normal range of pregnancy
- inductions - things you’re not always told
- achieving a natural start to labour
- optimising baby’s position
- breech or posterior - options & positions
- maintaining a healthy diet
- self hypnosis, meditation and deep relaxation techniques
+ Unit 4 - Birth - Bringing it All Together
- what to expect in the weeks and days leading up to birth
- signs that labour is starting
- what to expect through labour
- when to call the midwife/go to the hospital
- accidental home/car birth - what to do!
- common procedures
- birth partner’s role
- using water during labour and birth
- upright positioning, movement and birth positions
- special circumstances (including caesarean birth)
- fear release
- cord clamping and placenta delivery
- undisturbed bonding and breastfeeding time - skin to skin
- what to expect afterwards
- self hypnosis - rehearsal for birth
- a practice routine - preparation for birth
+ PLUS if you book with me you will receive:
- $200 worth of certified Hypnobirthing Australia materials including the comprehensive folio of resources, fabulous affirmations mp3’s, two practice self-hypnosis mp3’s, the ‘Little Book of Hypnobirthing’ ebook and home study videos.
- 12 hours of face-to-face training in a small and intimate group setting (4-6 couples). Flexible options can be negotiated. Small groups, weekday evenings/ weekends or private in-home classes at a time suitable for you and your partner are all alternatives.
- Our beautiful southern venue is located at the SA Wellness Centre at centrally located O’halloran Hill. This intimate venue is the perfect environment to relax and bond with your partner and baby while establishing and learning skills useful for your upcoming birth. We have yoga mats, birth balls, bolsters to make yourselves comfy while learning.
- A complimentary ‘Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering’ book by Sarah Buckley valued at $30.
- A 60 minute 1:1 midwifery session (bulk billed) where we can discuss your birth preferences and answer any further questions you have about the Hypnobirthing Australia course or preparation for your birth. Ideally we arrange this in the 36th week of your pregnancy and can be done via phone/Skype or in person.
- Option to book into a preparation for breastfeeding group class (often with the same course participants) after the completion of your course or we can also arrange a 1:1 pregnancy breastfeeding consultation in your own home at a reduced rate.
- Ongoing email/phone support from me until the birth of your baby
Price List and Class Types
Group classes: $550 per couple
12 hours of face-to-face training in a group setting (4-6 couples)
most preferred method (as you interact with other couples, learn from each other and bond)
best value for money
Includes bonus’ as listed above
Private Classes: $850 per couple
12 hours of face-to-face training in your home
at a time suitable for you - including weekends and evenings
includes bonus’ as listed above
Refresher Class: $290 per couple
3 hours of face-to-face training in your home
available as private class only
designed for couples who have completed the Hypnobirthing Australia course previously
no folio included in cost - but can be purchased additionally along with mp3 downloads
discussion and debrief about previous birthing experience
email/phone support from me until your birth
Other: $ please contact
Other class options can be arranged including a mix of group and private sessions. This can suit families who have partner who work away for instance or have only just discovered Hypnobirthing Australia a little late in the pregnancy. Please contact us to discuss other options.
THE POSITIVE BIRTH PROGRAM
(Private or Group classes)
The full course consists of 12 hours of tuition (4x 3hr units) in a group or private setting. It is run over 4 weeks (3 hours per session) or 2 full Sundays (6 hours per session).
• A deposit of $150 is due at booking, with the balance due 2 weeks prior to the class commencing.
Optional Breastfeeding education class can added to the end of the class series to complete your pregnancy education needs (cost additional).
Terms & Conditions
A non-refundable deposit is required to secure your booking.
The entire course fee is due 14 days prior to the course start date. In cases where the participant withdraws, they are entitled to a refund (less the non-refundable deposit) up to the course start date (not after) or they may change to a later course date (space permitting). All changes must be made in writing.
In the event of participant illness or inability to attend - a make up session can be arranged at an additional cost to the participant.
In the event of insufficient course participants (either sickness, early births or other unforeseen events) every attempt will be made to reschedule the current clients to other classes or a private class will be offered at an additional cost to participant.
In the unlikely event that the class is cancelled by Adelaide Lactation Consultants & Midwifery, a full refund is applicable or course rescheduled.
If you deliver prior to the completion of your scheduled Hypnobirthing Australia course there is no refund for classes not attended.